Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hardening, (was Re: chroot useful?)

From: "Jim Raykowski" <jimrski () cts com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 01:20:50 -0800

Hello,
  What are some of the binaries you deleted from your systems.  The reason I
ask is that I am trying to make a linux 3.30 with kernel 2.0.30 more secure
than out of the box/net.  I installed an minimal system with just the things
needed to boot and then re-compile the kernel for my system then added
networking and that was it.  I then re compiled the kernel again to add the
networking hardware the un-installed the compiler and its things then
un-installed the kernel sources.
  I then added another disk to the system and put the GNU compiler and
kernel sources over there as best I could figure.  Then un zipped TIS FWTK
2.0 and went to town setting it up.  After it was installed I umount the
disk with the compilers and various sources code on it and re-boot the
system.
  I think it is secure and it seems secure after testing it with tools form
the net to try and penetrate, that leads to allot more questions itself,
the system.  However, is there a list of programs that come with systems
that should be deleted?

Jim Raykowski
jimrski () cts com
raykowsj () nosc mil