Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1 load balancing is unbalanced

From: Chad Schieken <cschieke () advsys com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 10:32:23 -0500

Are the webservers identical hardware? I've found that when round-robining
(via DNS round robin, not FW-1) that if one of the servers isn't as fast as
the others it ruins the flow.

OS version etc, will also play a role. Could be something as small as a TCP
stack tweak on one server, causing that server to be able to respond faster,
causing FW-1 to wieght it higher. Or the process on a slower box with a slower
rating from FW-1.

A.B.C.4 and A.B.C.11 are the first two addresses, and A.B.C.1 is the third.
 I am beginning to wonder if FW-1 thinks that X.Y.Z.1 is a special address
for load balancing.  Something appears to be weighting FW-1 load balancing
in favor of that machine, but I have no clue as to what it might be.  I am
almost desparate enough to change the IP address of the third machine, just
to see if it helps.

Does anyone have load balancing working?  Does anyone have any suggestions
for me?

Thanks for any help,
Neil