Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Time for a new FWTK?

From: Craig Brozefsky <craig () onshore com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 22:09:30 -0600

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Bret Watson wrote:

If the application proxy can be likened to bank cashier and stateful
filtering to a front desk security guard then how about the concept of
CPTED? (crime Prevention through environmental design - for those without a
physSec background)
Where the 'firewall' watches all that happens on the network and reports
when activities are suspicious or new so that the heavies can come in -
otherwords something like RealSecure on Steriods...

What kinds of analysis would this entail, in particular what details
would be needed from the packets, what data would you want to keep
around, what types of analysis would you think would be neccesarry to get
anything near a suitable, somewhat reliable mechanism for detecting
changes in traffic patterns, or more subtle attacks?

There are so many different methods of attack, and vectors that network
traffic patterns can change on, perhaps it would do good to define and
list those vectors of change in network access patterns first.  You would
want some sort of time-domain to track the changes in at least, a way to
describe various protocols and therefor track changes across them.  You
would maybe want to identify some major protocol types.  Maybe a way to
define sequences in a generic manner so you could model various
handshaking and service request methods.  Then you have to have a way to
codify current traffic patterns, in order to identify anomolies.

Tho for some reaons I think that this "reactive" securty software has a
long way to go from pipe dream, to effective software tool.

Craig Brozefsky              craig () onshore com
onShore Inc.                 http://www.onshore.com/~craig
Development Team             p_priority=PFUN+(p_work/4)+(2*p_cash)
I hear my inside, the mechanized hum of another world - Steely Dan