Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PPTP viability (was RE: Gauntlet & NTLM)

From: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 97 13:46:00

Adam,
My understanding is that there is an exception to rules 1 & 2.  If you or
someone else can correct me, please do so.  I believe that the crypto in
the Network Systems Borderguard router is a) usable for data classified as
Secret or below, 2) exportable and 3) from a US company.  They have the
appropriate license, as I understand it, to export the router with the
strong crypto.

This is not a solution for some situations, but may work for Phillip's
application.

--john
--- On Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:17:30 -0400 (EDT)  Adam Shostack
<adam () homeport org> wrote:

Philip Cox wrote:

| 1. Is PPTP a viable option for sensitive or possibly classified level
| encryption?

Simple rule of cryptography 1: If its exportable from the US, don't
use it.

Corollary to rule 1: Buy cryptography from reputable sources outside
the US.

Simple rule of cryptography number 2: If you have data thats
US Government classified on your network, you have a site security
officer, who can introduce you to the man from Ft Meade, who will give
you the right cryptographic tools for what you want, or tell you it
cant be done.

Adam

--
                                                     -Hume