Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Say it ain't so

From: "Carl Friedberg, carl () comets com" <friedberg () comets com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:31:27 -0400 (EDT)

Jim,
It might be so. If you need to maintain an existing IP address on the
internet, which previously was on your (now internal) LAN, then you have
to decide whether to change the "outside", or change every machine on
the inside. I've done the latter and it's a piece of cake, takes about
5 minutes per machine including reboots with windows-nt machines, at
least. You'll probably need to touch each inside machine anyway, as mentioned
before. Is the default gateway address on each machine going to have to
change anyway, for instance?

There are a lot of issues on firewall installations which need to be
assessed beforehand, including FTP access, TELnet access, mail agents,
virtual private nets (tunnels) etc. You should be sure all of these are
addressed and understood; then you should be able to easily assess the
need to touch each machine.

Carl

    Carl Friedberg  carl () comets com v +1.212.233.5470
    Comet & Company
    165 William St 9th floor
    New York City, NY 10038

<Hi All,
<      I've got a meeting with our Firewall Installers on the 29th. Got
<pulled into as a result of 'centralizing' our computer/technology
<staff and creation of a helpdesk. The upshot is this. We have been
<apprised by one of the staff (Originally selected
<installation/Firewall) and was told that every device behind the
<firewall would have to 'be touched' for anything to work. It almost
<sounds like a complete rework of the network setup/standard. We were
<told that all IP addresses would have to be changed. Somehow I get
<the impression that this is the installers idea, and I'm not quite
<willing to by into it. I feel that it should be possible to 'plug-in'
<any properly configured firewall (with the exception of the proxies)
<and not have to reconfigure machines.
<      Am I wrong?
<Jim Leo
<admin () everett pitt cc nc us