Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Detection

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:29:10 -0400

Mark Horn [ Net Ops ] wrote:
Can't this be done with two firewalls in series?  Both firewalls would
have the same rule set, with one exception.  The outer firewall has a
default deny rule that simply drops stuff.  The inner firewall, has a
default deny rule that drops stuff, and sets off an alarm to the
administrators.  If the administrators ever get an alarm from the inner
firewall, they know that the outer firewall is permitting things it
shouldn't, or that the rulesets are out of sync.  This could even be done,
crudely, with a router as the outer firewall.

That sounds like it'd work great. Several times I've suggested
that folks do exactly that kind of thing, usually relying on
screening/logging on routers behind the firewall, to detect apparent
policy mismatches between what the firewall should be allowing and
what it is allowing.

This is not, by any means, perfect.  But isn't this a rudimentary policy
based IDS?

Sure is!!!

Based on some discussions I've had offline I'm going to stop using
the "policy" word around IDS' and call them "burglar alarms" instead.
It really *IS* a burglar alarm model: you know what shouldn't happen
and you look for and alarm for it. That's much more of a true "intrusion
detection" than an "attack detection" because the burglar alarm will
not fire unless there's a clear violation of what you expect to be
seeing.

The effectiveness of burglar alarms will be bounded at the top end
by the user's ability to clearly state what should and should not
be going on within their network.

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net