Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: fw-1 general & VPN questions

From: Lyndon David <lyndond () sentinet co uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:57:38 +0100

Yes serial console lines on workstations are not very good. With regard to
the idea of running ppp over the serial console. On a sun box if you send a
break down the console line the box drops to the boot prom. I expect that
there are ways around this behavoir by changing the prom variables.

I thought that the point of the serial console line was that it was a last
resort communication mechanism because the box has become unresponsive from
across the network.

Lyndon

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Joseph S. D. Yao wrote:
I also intend to do some "out-of-band" mgmt with a dialin
modem on the serial console of the two sun boxes (yes, yes,
wardialers I know). However, this is what the customer wants,
and I have no say-so, so I need to simply get it set up.

Can you at least get them to use a dial-back modem?  Or even strong
authentication at the dial-in terminal server?

Sounds like there's no terminal server there, just dialin on
the serial console. :(

Warning: workstations often have incredibly lame serial consoles.
I don't know about the particular sun boxes you're planning to use
but I've had $40,000 screaming hot workstations barely able to handle
serial I/O at 38.8k.

I've been pondering the secure remote management thing for a while
and was trying to come up with decent solutions that are dirt cheap.
Haven't tried this, but does anyone see a flaw with:
  - have a log-in that drops you right into PPP using CHAP
  - run ip_filt on the workstation to filter access via the PPP interface
  - let only SSH in over PPP (or whatever other services are OK)

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net