Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Network Security Certification

From: Anton J Aylward <anton () the-wire com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:58:51 -0400

At 01:37 PM 22/09/97 -0500, you wrote:
## Reply Start ##
I'm taking the liberty to write the list for a little
advice.  The client organization in my company has recently decided to
spend money getting some of their people "certified" in networking and
security (having apparently had some of their proposed connectivity
solutions questions).  I'm in the functional group, so this doesn't directly
affect me, but my boss has decided that it would probably be good for
us to have at least one certified security expert in-house, and that's me.

I know the ISSA offers some sort of IS security certification, but I have
a vague recollection that it's pretty mainframe oriented.  I haven't paid
much attention to the cert ads I've gotten because I don't take them very
seriously as proof of expertise -- but it's got to be easier than most
of my day-to-day work around here, so that's a good thing.  Anyone out
there aware of any certification programs in TCP/IP networking and security?
I'd be delighted to find out that any recommended programs were actually
going to help me in my job, but that's not a definite requirement.

TIA -- Tina Bird
Internet Services Management
Cerner Corporation

I've just taken the course.
The exam is Saturday.
No its not mainframe oriented.
I've been doing this for nearly 20 years and I find the material
a challenge.   Despite what people like Paul Robertson say, this is a
true test.

Mail me back after Saturday and I'll tell you more of my experience with it.

/anton

## Reply End ##
Anton J Aylward                         | Security is not something that comes in
System Integrity                        | a self-contained box. It is an attribute
InfoSec Auditing & Consulting    | of how you do business and as such
Voice: (416) 421-8182                   | needs to be managed carefully.
anton () Toronto com            |      - Karen Goertzel, Wang Federal Inc.