Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: When to do something about detected attacks (was Re: how to do...)

From: zen () trouble org (d)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 22:31:58 -0700

One of my biggest criticisms of IDS's, security scanners, and security
programs in general is that they look for security problems, rather than
gathering information and process it with a security mindset.  The
I think this is a poor generalization.

Well, I don't ;-)

Security scanners don't necessarily
"look for holes instead of valuable configuration information"; they tend
to look for both.

I'm never mentioned configuration information, so I don't know who you're
quoting here.  I'm talking about *any* information.  And I said in my
experience; I'm not trying to map this assumption onto all things.

The problem here is that you can't always (or even
usually) analyze general configuration information and accurately obtain a
picture of which vulnerabilities are present.

Exactly my point.  The data should be kept, however, so that if you ever
*do* get the analysis down, that you don't have to go back (if it's even
possible) and regather the stuff.

You can collect "general" information such as the network topology,
operating systems of all the machines, and the services they run, and
"process it from a security mindset" to say "suchandsuch a machine is
probably vulnerable to this problem". The information you obtain from this
type of analysis is probably going to be inaccurate.

Of course; we have a long way to go before we get anything that remotely
gives us what we'll want, either now or later.

A valid criticism (and this may be the criticism you are making) against
these types of systems is that they don't do enough analysis of the
information they obtain and don't report the general information (rather
than the specific low-level vulnerabilities) well enough. This is
different from the question of whether the information is collected at
all, though.

That wasn't my criticism, or point, at all.

dan