Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: meaning of "both" in a filter statement

From: john madincea <JMadincea () compuserve com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 19:53:58 -0400

Hal,

there may be other vendor products using this operand, however
I've only seem it used within the IBM firewall (formerly called
Secured Network Gateway).

Its context within this package is used in 2 ways.  The first
describes which interface the rule is permitted or denied
on.  An example using "both" might include allowing users from
the unsecure (internet) and secured (your wan) interferfaces to
HTTP to a webserver in the DMZ off a third interface.  Therefore, it
allows you to write fewer rules.  You have to weight whether
its conciseness is more usefull than writing more rules.  If you
were ever exposed to C code you'll know what I mean.  Some people
write code and document it very well, while others try to condense
it making it harder to understand and maintain.

The second use has to do with the routing of the packet.  In this
case the packet can be destined for the firewall or some other
host. Suppose a service (like telnet) is running on a remote host that
your internal clients want to connect to.  Suppose for some reason
that you as the administrator also need to telnet to this host.  In
this case you can create generic rules that allow the responses from
the remote host to respond to your firewall (your sessions) and internal
client sessions.  In this case if you did not use "both" you would have to
write more rules to allow this to happen.  The pros and cons are similar
to the HTTP example above.

Please note that I am not advocating that you utilize this feature as I
have found that its best to explicitly write more rules that are easier to
maintain.  Give consideration for your peers and anyone that may perform
your job in the future.  You also have to consider all of the other
operands being used too.

Good Luck,

John Madincea

RE:     meaning of "both" in a filter statement