Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: WORM file system for logging

From: Doug Hughes <doug () Eng Auburn EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 16:22:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Bobo Rajec wrote:

Marcus J. Ranum:
Is there a CD writer Software
out there that runs from the commandline (On AIX and Solaris)?

I'd also be interested in knowing about such a beast if
there is one.

Try cdrecord :
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/nthp/employees/schilling/cdrecord.html

Cdrecord just writes data to cd. You will need some tool to create
iso9660 filesystem, like mkisofs.

just an addendum: mkisofs comes with cdrecord, so you don't have to
go hunting for it. Also, you can do multi-session on a CD. So,
when your logs change, or get updated, you can just append them
to the end of the CD and they magically show up when you mount
the CD. I use it to keep greppable tcp_wrapper logs since '91.
A single CD can hold a LOT of tcp_wrappers info (particularly if
it's gzipped and you use zgrep)

It's certainly not as convenient as having mounted media, and sooner
or later you run out of sessions, but it's definitely read-only,
particularly if you take it out of the writer and put it on a CD-ROM.

(aside: it's also very handy for tripwire databases - you can update
the database with relatively little effort and without setting any
jumpers or having to boot into single user mode as with an immutable
file system)

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University
                        doug () eng auburn edu