Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1 technical strength

From: jgalvin () cs loyola edu
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 19:39:10 -0500 (EST)

I agree that these settings should be known by knowledgeable
administrators, but to issue a security advisory against them is too
strong; these settings are useful in some environments.  They are also
documented as capabilities of the machine, not as bugs.

The point that I was trying to make was that maybe the mail on Rule 0
should have been made an fyi, certainly not an advisory.

Regards,
Jenn

In some email I received from Ryan Russell, sie wrote:

Ok, so what's wrong with it?

In some ways you could compare the default FW-1 settings with those for
SunOS4 and /etc/hosts.equiv.  It's the first thing that "anyone in the
know" changes, but there's more units sold than "people in the know".
Everyone knows they're insecure but the vendor still ships it that way
to everyone's disbelief.

Darren