Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: INtrusion Detection

From: Gary Crumrine <gcrum () us-state gov>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 06:08:47 -0500

OK Tom, you have managed to poke holes in every product on the market...now
how do you propose we fix the problems?  The need is definitely there, no
one will argue that...so what is a guy/girl to do?  Are you suggesting that
we go without anything?   That even in the limited functionality presented
by these products, that they should not be used at all?   I disagree.
 Anything that enhances the security of someone's system is welcome, and
adds value.

Nothing is 100% safe.  A determined, knowledgeable group can take out
anything.  I would think that any tool that does provide increased security
is viable.  Do they work in all cases?   Nope    Do they offer false
security?  Only to the unknowing.  I think the IDS products we see on the
market today represent where the Firewall industry was a few years ago.
 Look where that is now, multi billion dollar industry, and they still can
not say that you are 100% safe.  With the advent of the network appliance
products coming to market these days, the deathknell is sounding.

You are right in that some IDS advertisements do stretch the limit a bit,
but no more than the claims by the firewall vendors.  Pricing seems to
indicate that they feel the products are right up there with firewalls.  I
believe in this so much, that I think you will see a big push for LEADING
Firewall technology companies will begin to incorporate this functionality
in their product as a way of marketing their product.

The bottom line is that what ever you are talking about, be it firewall
technology, or IDS systems, OS's whatever, it comes down to the person who
is configuring the beast and whether they exercise due diligence in their
work.  These IDS products are nothing more than a tool to be used in a
total threat management program.  If you got the bucks to spend, I think
the return on the investment is good.

Thanks for the input

My this thread just keeps going and going...I can't remember when we had
such a long and intelligent discussion on a given subject without
everything evolving into a mud slinging contest.   Way to go people!!!