Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN and firewalls

From: Linwood Ferguson <ferguson () mag aramark com>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 09:36:02 -0800 (PST)

I am curious about why people are choosing VPN solutions which
are independent of firewalls, for example, Aventail or TimeStep.

Do people poke these streams through their firewalls?

We did.

Is it a matter of performance?

No.

Why pay extra for VPN capability which is already included in many firewalls?

It wasn't (as far as I know) included in Gauntlet.  Since I cannot even get
our salesman to return a phone call, I found just using the PPTP included
in NT a simple and easy solution - nothing new to buy, nothing special to
install on the NT laptops, etc.

I did get some warnings about whether it was really secure (if you search
the archives you will see some discussion).  I listened (really), but decided
it was worth the risk in our case.  Your milage may vary of course.

Works nice by the way.

    - Linwood

Linwood Ferguson                  e-mail: ferguson () mag aramark com
Director, Software Engineering    Voice:  (US) 540/967-0087
ARAMARK Mag & Book Services