Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: encapsulated protocols?

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 03:36:07 -0800

1998-02-03-16:43:26 Mark Horn:
Lately, I've noticed an increasing number of network protocols that
are encapsulating themselves over existing protocols. And then using
some of our proxies to navigate anywhere on the Internet.
[...]
Does anyone have any clever ideas as to how to prevent this
encapsulation trick?

In general, you can't; a sufficiently-determined tunneler can make their
traffic look sufficiently legitimate to pass any automated scanner.
However, I'd doubt anybody would be devoting themselves to serious
Stegonography to conceal their tunnels just yet, so if you wanted to
catch the easy ones, it ought to suffice to have your http proxy check
MIME types against an "approved" list, and do some quick content checks
to ensure that it at least looks a little like the indicated MIME type.

Of course if you want to enforce this level of control you into the same
big limitation as if you intend to try to strip out applets: you can't
pass SSL, until and unless someone comes out with a man-in-the-middle
SSL proxy.

Happily, I'm expecting one not too long after Netscape 5.0 sources hit
the street:-).

-Bennett