Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT on router vs. firewall

From: Bill_Royds () pch gc ca
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:30:17 -0400

How would you implement rules on firewall based on source address or
destination address?. The firewall would only see the NAT versions of IP
numbers so would not have any basis other than port to filter.

We're in the process of doing some network reconfiguration and my boss
suggested doing NAT on our router (a cisco) instead of on the firewall
(running firewall-1).  It sounded like a reasonable idea to me, but I
figured I'd check here and see if there were any big issues with doing it
on one as opposed to the other.

Thanks
gregory

--
Gregory Blake                     HealthGate Data Corp
Network Manager                    greg () healthgate com