Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Obtuse smtpd

From: Craig Woods <craigw () november cistw saic com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 09:41:08 -0700

Hi,
We used smtpd on a small internal juniper firewall here.  Get ready to
break out your sendmail documentation if you want to rewrite your e-mail
headers.  Smtpd relies on sendmail or some other mailer running in batch
mode to rewrite headers.  Smtpd can be compiled with a switch that will
allow you to add a file of rules for it to follow.  You can get fairly
sophisticated in handling spammers.  With more set up time you can
configure it to send e-mail through a decryptor-virus
checker-re-encryptor like the WorldSecure products.  It has chroot
features and, since it is source code, you can compile it with an
anti-stack-smashing add-on to gcc.  We found it to be fast and simple
and fairly tight.  Later,
Craig

Craig M. Woods
Security Engineer