Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Proxy 2.0 secure? (about ms protocol stack)

From: "Choi, Byoung" <bchoi () visa com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:09:57 -0700

my statement is an empirical conclusion.  i wouldn't make assumption
about whether nt security holes get more publicity than others...

i very much agree with you about the superior reliability of open-source
software - at the worst, it's devil we know (or we are able to find out
if we want to).  however, aix and many commercial unix(es?)  are derived
from bsd/svr, and they are time-tested.  unless the vendor was so
moronic as to waste their time writing the whole protocol stack over, it
wouldn't be unreasonable to expect similar level of performance/security
attribute (this is a bit of blanket statement, i know).

b-

(sorry to the mailiing list folks - i sent a redundant message
previously because it told me that the mess bounced back :-}  )