Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Gauntlet post acquisition

From: "Waszak, Tom" <Tom.Waszak () connect xerox com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:10:08 -0400

I would be hesitant to recommend any product that NAI has gotten their hands
on.  Not necessarily from a technical stand point, but from a sales and
support stand point.  McAfee has paid many $ to former clients for false
claims made by their sales staff about ZAC.  I suspect that this would also
be true for other products.   Another consideration is the wonderful habit
NAI has had for gutting development and support staff.   I also understand
that Bill Larson (NAI CEO) has a penchant for buying technology rather than
developing it.   As for where NAI may be going with Gauntlet? I haven't the
foggiest idea other than what I said about Bill Larsen.  As for technical
support:  I could not comment on Gauntlet support specifically, but for
other NAI products, it has been lacking to say the least.  However, their
consultants (after you pay about $7000) have been very candid, frank and
upstanding.  They spend a lot of their time cleaning up the messes the sales
and support staff make.

As for recommendations, let me just suggest that you wait and see what NAI
does with/to Gauntlet.  With luck they won't gut them.

NT vs Unix:  there are some options out there that use Unix but with a GUI,
perhaps you should consider these?  I'd suggest looking at Secure
Computing's Secure Zone or Axent Technologies Raptor 5.0 (it comes in either
NT or Unix flavors)

Regards,

Thomas Waszak
Xerox Connect