Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Speeds and feeds

From: tqbf () pobox com
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 22:10:16 -0500 (CDT)

Unless you are going to run iBGP between two separate routers, the second
T-1 wouldn't be balanced.  If you aren't running a protocol with your

Ah, I didn't catch the "two routers" bit. Yes, with two routers, you won't
have balanced traffic --- unless you address the problem with a routing
protocol. I would question why you would implement traffic balancing over
two DS1s with two routers; a decent router that isn't doing naything but
pushing packets is going to be one of the more reliable things on the
network, and if you need fail-over, just keep a spare.

Any decent router (a 3620, for example) can balance traffic over two DS1s.
That would probably be the better solution (among all possible solutions)
for an arbitrary company in an arbitrary location.

round-robin-like on a Cisco.  Your inbound case may possibly be worse due to
the asymmetric nature of routing like this - although this could still
happen when you are running BGP also.

You'd need to have an agreement with your upstream to balance inbound
traffic over the two lines; running an IGP between your end and the ISP
should solve this.

Thomas H. Ptacek          The Company Formerly Known As Secure Networks, Inc.
http://www.pobox.com/~tqbf       "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"