Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Newbie question - IP routing through a firewall

From: Peter Mayne <Peter.Mayne () digital com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 14:00:31 +1000

The AltaVista Firewall for UNIX has packet-forwarding enabled by default.

There are (at least) two reasons for this.

1) screend is used to block all packet forwarding (by default). This
provides better logging of attempts to route packets through the firewall
than turning off routing altogether.

2) If you *do* need to route packets from one side to the other (for
instance, awkward things like DCOM/RPC or rsh tend not to be proxyable),
it's easy to do. If you don't have packet forwarding and you don't have a
proxy, what do you do?

PJDM
----
Peter Mayne, Digital Equipment Corporation (Australia), Canberra, ACT
These are my opinions, and have nothing to do with Digital.
"Forgive my long delay in writing, but I have been simply overwhelmed with
work."
    - Letter from Miss Mina Murray to Miss Lucy Westenra; Dracula, Bram
Stoker