Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxy firewall design.

From: Bernhard Schneck <Bernhard_Schneck () genua de>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 11:11:32 +0100

In message <199803101214.XAA14551 () soy cyber com au> you write:
A common theme amongst proxy firewalls running on Unix is to limit the
exposure through use of chroot. How many of these segregate it further
such that (say) the smtp proxy uses /fw/smtp, ftp uses /fw/ftp, etc ?
I'm aware of chrooting used for WWW & mail, but I can't see why you
wouldn't use it for all of them.  For example, FWTK 2.0 doesn't support
chroot for plug-gw or x-gw but it does for all the others.  Of course,
you might even chroot to /fw first, before running any of your proxies...

In our firewall, we
* chroot for each possibly hostile interface (/cage/ef0, /cage/ef1, ...)
* chroot even further for ``dangerous'' services (mail, ssh, www, ...)

tcp-relay (similar to plug-gw) doesn't do any file I/O (and we hope
it doesn't have any buffer overflows), so chrooting further won't help
that much.

I hope the ``chroot escape hole'' is fixed (as discussed here a few
weeks ago).

Of course, chrooting only restricts file access and nothing else, so
several additional topics need to be adressed, too.

\Bernhard.