Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Speeds and feeds

From: tqbf () secnet com
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 05:13:13 -0500 (CDT)

I'm working with a company currently using a T1 which becomes very
sluggish when engineers do many FTP and HTTP sessions through a state
firewall on a Netra-1 (firewall is not a bottleneck).  They're thinking
of upgrading to a T3 with a fast proxy server (+ VPN) since they also
are running out of IPs, and internal systems are getting hit by external
packets.

Whoah. Are you sure you're saturating the DS1 and not the router? Do you
have numbers to back up moving to a DS3? How big is this company? I ran a
large ISP for a couple years, and I have never seen a non-content-provider
or ISP that needed a DS3.

Highly recommended tool: MRTG, the Multi-Router Traffic Grapher, which
polls SNMP devices and throws up nice graphs in HTML. You can find it at
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html.

Thomas H. Ptacek          The Company Formerly Known As Secure Networks, Inc.
http://www.enteract.com/~tqbf    "If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"