Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Gauntlet adaptive proxies

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:18:07 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Kevin Steves, sie wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Darren Reed wrote:
: CheckPoint doesn't have proxies for a start, so all it does is either
: pass or deny packets.  For Gauntlet, there is a fundamental difference
: for the path taken by data in the HTTP example above.  For the first
: 20 or so, the packets are interpreted by the local kernel as being a
: part of a local TCP connection, resulting in data being copied in/out
: of a user-space proxy.  Once the proxy is happy, it tells the kernel to
: just pass the rest of the packets through - basic pkt filtering.  There
: is no longer any copying of data between kernel/user space, no local
: interpretation of TCP packets, etc.

One quote from the paper is: "With an adaptive proxy firewall, initial
security examinations are still conducted at the secure application
layer, but subsequent packets can be redirected through the network
layer as soon as the security clearance has been made".  In the case
above I assume the proxy has built a new TCP connection to the
destination server, then at some point decides it's OK to packet filter
the connection.  What about address and sequence number translation in
this case?

I can't see that as being an obstacle.  All the information is there,
somewhere, you just have to get it and massage it appropriately when
sending packets back and forth.

Heck, I can envisage being able to even go back into "proxy mode" from
packet forwarding.

Darren