Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: future of IDS

From: Jonathan Rozes <jrozes () vinton com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 17:40:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Tupshin Harper wrote:

2) With the reality of GB LAN networking nearing the mainstream, has
anybody(switch vendor or other) speculated on having for example a 10/100MB
switch that has a GB port that can spit out all traffic on all ports for
monitoring?  Would seem like an ideal solution for the security conscious.

The Cabletron 2H252-25R will do this. It's a 24-port 10/100 switch with
an additional slot for a high-speed uplink (gig ethernet available). It's
not clear if the gig port can be used for mirroring, but I don't see why
it couldn't be. See http://www.cabletron.com/products/items/2H252-25R/ for
details. Their larger capacity switches can do this as well.

My general impression of Cabletron stuff has been that it's very good, but
very expensive.

Hope this helps!

jonathan

+++ Jonathan Rozes, Systems Administrator, Will Vinton Studios
++  1400 NW 22nd Ave, Portland, Oregon, USA  97210-2684
+   jrozes () vinton com, http://www.tufts.edu/~jrozes/
    Unlike most of you, I am not a nut  -- HJS 7G03