Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: An ethernet frame with two IP packets inside?

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:55:38 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Keller, sie wrote:

Hi gurus and beardy wizards,

what happens if one ethernet frame contains two IP packets?

I know, it *shouldn't* happen, but I could construct one, right?
How will different tcpip stacks deal with the second IP packet?
Could it slip through the filtering rules on some routers?
Could it slip past static pattern matching firewalls (FW-1?) ?

RTFS is the best bet.  And in such a case, you will find that only
the first packet will be used (BSD at least truncates mbuf size to
only fit the first packet).

If you don't have the source, do some testing and post results.