Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: future of IDS

From: "Ryan Russell" <ryanr () sybase com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 22:44:26 -0800

Intel will sell you a 1000b NIC.  Cisco just announced a bunch
of Gigabit Ethernet interfaces for their routers and switches.
They'll sell you copper or a few flavors of fiber, depending on how
far aware from the box you want to be.

I'm not saying you'll end up with anything useful or practical as an
IDS, but you can plug it all together and get frames back and forth.

I have just one problem with this: how do I plug my PC into one of those
gigabit uplink ports ?

Also, I imagine that the protocol on those connectors is proprietry, so
even if you could connect it, making sense of it would be the next trick.

Darren