Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re[2]: password aging

From: Steve.Bleazard () wdr com
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 15:17:06 +0700

     One alternative to password aging, is to force everyone to use a
     password generator.  FIPS181 from the US government describes (and
     implements) such a generator.  I have found the FIPS181 algorithm
     generates good pronouncable passwords.  They are also far less
     susceptible to social engineering.

     Using password generators has many problems in itself, not least of
     which is the tendency for people to write the password down.  However,
     if security demands good password aging and system wide password
     re-use detection, then the local policies can be enforced to deal with
     this and a generator is a viable alternative.

     Steve