Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Transparent vs. Non-transparent AGs/SPFs/whatever

From: "Ryan Russell" <ryanr () sybase com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:10:09 -0700

That doesn't reall answer the question I asked.  Sure, if I know
ahead of time that my user wants to telnet to port 2300, I can
configure my firewall to route traffic with a destination port
of 2300 through my telnet proxy app, no problem.  But What
if I don't know ahead of time what port people will be telnetting
to?

(this is assuming I want to proxy more than 1 protocol... if I'm
only allowing telnet out, then the telnet proxy could handle everything.)

And what if a different one of my users want to do HTTP to
port 2300 on a different host on the Internet?

(Again, the assumtion is that the telnet proxy is smart enough to
know that HTTP doesn't look like a proper telnet...  if a telnet
proxy lets HTTP through think that it's just a weird telnet session,
then that's just another circuit-level proxy as far as I'm concerned.)

                         Ryan

P.S. BTW, I think I probably already know the answer to this
thread Ive started, I'm just hoping I'm wrong.

AG's run transparently if they are are the one the pip between protected
network (inside) and unprotected Internet (outside).
All default routes of inside network, whether default gateway or router
defaults point to inside NIC of firewall.
For your example, thee firewall rules then say if that if any traffic
comes
in from inside NIC for port 2300 it will be proxied as telnet. No other
service will be allowed on port 2300.
Similarily for external traffic. Since there are 2 sessions on firewall
for
each connection (from inside to firewall, from firewall to external
server), you can even change the port on the way through or even change
the
protocol (always change ftp to ftp-PASV running under http).
You are not restricted to carrying the same packets on each side of the
firewall.