Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAK dropped SYN-packets to sender?

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: 09 Aug 1999 17:52:56 -0400

"Frank Heinzius" <frimp () mms de> writes:
our Firewall normally silently drops unauthorized packets from the
Internet. It it also possible to send back an ICMP unrechable to the
originator.

Both methods have their advantage: silent dropping gives you an
additional kinda "security by obscurity" level. The disadvantage is that
TCP stacks from the originator will do a couple of retransmits due to the
timeouts.
If I sent ICMP unreachable, the attacker knows that there is a firewall
mechanism which make port scans very fast (if based on SYN-ACK). On the
other hand, I donĀ“t have to deal with retransmits.

What is the common and/or most recommended way?

I'm not a big believer in the "security from obscurity" features that
dropping ICMP unreachables. However, if you are going to do that, at
least send "unreachables" for a few common undesirable services, like
the horrible "ident" protocol, which would otherwise result in delays
for things like mail delivery out of your firewall. (Unfortunately,
lots of SMTP MTAs now do an ident query back to a host sending mail,
and dropping those idents silently instead of with the ICMP will
result in major mail delays for you, among other things...)

Perry