Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Misconfigured firewalls

From: "TC Wolsey" <twolsey () realtech com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 18:03:20 -0500

Lance Spitzner <lance () ksni net> 12/07/99 08:09PM >>>
A trend I have noticed after auditing a variety of clients is
miconfigured firewalls.  I often find rules that expose my
clients to great risk, even though they spent $50,000 on their
firewall setup.  I've written a whitepaper to help firewall
admins build their first rulebase.  My goal is to give admins
a place to start in building a solid rulebase, hopefully
avoiding the more common pitfalls of rulebase design.

I would greatly appreciate if you guru's out there could
give the paper a "looksy" before I publish it.  I want to
be sure I'm giving firewall admins a good start.  Also, I
would greatly appreciate any suggestions you may have based
on your experience with firewall rulebases.  I base my
examples on FW-1, but they should apply to most firewalls.

Designing Your Firewall Rulebase
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/rules.html

Thanks!

Lance Spitzner
http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/papers.html

Lance,

A couple of points, mostly FW-1 specific:

You have left outgoing services enabled in the properties as Last, but block outgoing in the rulebase with rule 11.

You are rejecting ident and NBT destined for the FW, shouldn't you be sending RSTs for ident destined for the
mailserver?

Is the sample policy of allowing any access out from the internal network the best choice of reference for possibly
inexperienced admins? I think that a sample that allowed only DNS queries from the internal DNS server and HTTP and FTP
services from a proxy server might steer them down a better path. I know that the example policy in your publication
reflects what some organizations elect to do, but I would not like to see that type of policy encouraged if at all
possible.

Regards,

--tcw