Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: password mgmt

From: sean.kelly () lanston com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:12:13 -0500

Has anyone used a PalmPilot for keeping track of assorted passwords?

Not personally, but there are encrypted, password-protected apps for the
pilot to do this sort of thing.

Any other ideas that  avoid having critical passwords
recorded somewhere?

I tend to use passwords that have some sort of pmnemonic device perhaps
coupled with a pre-established pattern, so they're not very hard to recall
but are still fairly random strings of letters and numbers (for example, the
first letter of each of the first 8 words of a song with numbers and
punctuation thrown in).  If I can't remember it, I'll write down a hint
somewhere (maybe a line from the refrain of the song), rather than the
actual password.  It is enough for me to remember the pmnemonic device and
guess at the pattern I used -- I usually base patterns on key positions on
they keyboard, perhaps inspired by the letter arrangement of the rest of the
password.

I'd say to find a system that works for you -- make it something that you
can decipher using some sort of obscure logic that you've devised and then
record indicators rather than the password itself.

I will also admit that I do use the same password for multiple ecommerce
sites and the like as remembering scores of passwords is really just too
much, but I use unique passwords for everything important.

Sean