Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Speaking of ssh->pop

From: "Aaron D. Turner" <aturner () vicinity com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:11:15 -0800 (PST)

Hey Lance,

On your your.mail.server:110 you need the pop3d
running.  Basically -L does:

<port_on_your_workstation>:<remote_host>:<dest_port>

And anything that goes in on <port_on_your_workstation> will be
encrypted and send to the machine you ssh'd to, decrypted, and sent to
<remote_host>:<dest_port>.  Note that one really cool thing is that
your <remote_host> doesn't have to be the same system that you're
sshing to!  So you can do:

ssh shell.server -L 110:mail.server:110

where shell.server can reach, but is != mail.server.  Of course the
disadvantage is that the communication between shell.server and
mail.server is not encrypted.  I use this trick a lot to ssh to behind
the firewall, and port forward connections to internal web servers,
mail servers, etc.  Also be aware that if you use the -g option, ssh
will accept connections on your localmachine on port 110 and forward
them too.  If you don't use -g, the port is firewalled off.

--
Aaron Turner        aturner () vicinity com  650.237.0300 x252
Security Engineer                         Vicinity Corp.