Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Altavista Firewall98 SP3 broken on DU40D

From: "Van Bemmel, Berend" <VanBemmel.Berend () kpmg nl>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:07:53 +0100

Hello,

I have made a test install of Altavista Firewall 98 on a DU40D box (with and
without digital patch kit 5). After I install the firewall SP3 the screen
function on the ethernet devices is broken. The following message is shown
during boot:

  ioctl (SIOCSREENON): Operation not supported on socket
  Cannot set Screen Mode ON

This means that after aplying this service pack the machine no longer does
screening (packet filtering) and might even be acting as a router now since
the forwarding on the firewall is (and should be?) on. This is fatal for
security afcourse!

Regular support through compaq and axent gave no help at all on this issue
so far (altough is looks pretty serious to me). Has anybody else seen this
and/or solved it?

btw. I need SP3 because in SP2 the generic proxies are broken in a very bad
way (among some other stuff).

Cheers,

Berend W. van Bemmel

the system manager.