Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The Future of Security

From: Randy Witlicki <randy.witlicki () valley net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 21:14:44 -0500

  Gary wrote:
..<snip>...
Now before anyone lights the flame throwers, I think it fair to say that
there has been a lot of poor quality work done in the past, and the
complaints come from everywhere you look.  It is not focused on one industry
segment, or about one firm doing the dirty deed etc.  The problem is that
when mediocre work is performed at the fortune 500 level, the trickle down
effect is that we all get a black eye.  So that is why I think that the
market will force so called experts to do a better job.
...<snip>...

  I'm interested here about where you say "complaints come from everywhere
you look."
  From "inside" (e.g: this mailing list, the Usenix Security conference,
etc. - where the techies are found) - the perspective is that the "poor
quality" comes from things like the InfoSec division of a brand name big
accounting firm sending out an intern with a laptop loaded with ISS (or
some other security scanner) to do an audit of a client.  The network
and system administrators at the client see this and are chuckling
over their coffee or Mt. Dews about the yoo-yoo sent out to do the audit.
This is the *stereotype* of poor quality from the techie viewpoint.
  Do you think management - whose eyes glaze over when the techies walk
into the room - also think there is rampant poor quality in the Computer
Security racket ?  What drives their perceptions ?

  Yours in asking for hundreds of dollars per hour without blinking,

  - Randy
 -