Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ipchains FW, monitoring for scans, & how to react to them

From: cbrenton <cbrenton () sover net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 07:44:44 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Thom Dyson wrote:

A conversation about this sort of auto-blocking came up at the SANS
conference last week.  It was pointed out that if you have this, it could
be the basis of a very effective DoS attack with just a little IP spoofing.

I brought this up in my firewall class at SANS as well. Reactive IDS
systems have become extremely popular but can be used to kill
connectivity. On three occasions I've seen instances where an
organization's connectivity has been killed by spoofing attack patterns
from root name server IP addresses.

Of course this falls to one of my biggest gripes, many orgainzation's
focus on limiting what comes into their environment but pay little
attention to what goes out. I'm a big advocate of outbound spoofing
filters. ;)

Given the trend toward low and slow scans, your "DENY flush" interval would
have to be fairly long.  You have to weigh the risks in your environment.

Agreed. Just because a feature exists does not mean you should use it. ;)

A couple of the speakers on intrusion detection basically said, "We get so
many probes on things like IMAP and BO, that as long as they are outside
the firewall, they just aren't that interesting."

Back in "the good old days" I used to follow up on every attack. Now I
just database the pattern along with the source address and let it slide
unless they are dumb enough to poke away at my honeypot. ;)

They weren't too worried about probes
for services that they know aren't running on a particular machine.  It was
the unknown probes (a la new trojans) that seemed to be the biggest
concern.

I've been involved with the SANS Y2K National Watchcenter and have been
seeing a good number of trojan type attacks being reported. This is yet
another reason to watch what traffic is trying to leave your network. ;)

WRT firewalling on the web server without a second separate fw, I'm  a huge
fan of one task per machine.  Ipchains on the web server is a good idea,
but not as a replacement for a separate perimeter defense.

Agreed. Also, ipchains is a packet filter. Ifthe goal is to secure the Web
server itself, you can do the same thing by killing services and using
wrapper.

Cheers,
Chris
--
cbrenton () sover net

* Multiprotocol Network Design & Troubleshooting
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782120822/geekspeaknet
* Mastering Network Security
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782123430/geekspeaknet