Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: centralised log server

From: "Desai, Ashish" <Ashish.Desai () fmr com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:33:31 -0500

We just copy them to a central server (after compressing them) via SSH. I
don't know how we
deal with the NT stuff as that depends on the applications.
For NT its very hard to do central collections of the NT events and the
event
codes are stored in the program DLL's. However there are tools that can
take NT events and convert them and forward them to a syslog server.

The trick is to properly define a directory structure that can scale up.
We normally make a subdirectory for every virtual web server or services and
then in there
store files is named as YYYYMMDD.gz. This allows us to write shell scripts
that can parse
thru different logs files based on time.
Remember not to store more than a 1000 files per directory as you get
performance issues in
directory look ups.

Ashish