Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: Smurfs and fraggles

From: "Ryan Russell" <Ryan.Russell () sybase com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:02:17 -0800

I realize that my filter won't prevent me from getting attacked but it
will at
least prevent me from being an amplifier.  Based on my understanding I
don't see
as there is a way to prevent from being attacked unless I can somehow
monitor
the rate of incoming ICMP packets and if there's some sudden spike from a
certain IP address or addresses automatically filter them out.  That seems
like
a fair amount of intelligence and programming to put into a router or
firewall.

Nah, setting thresholds and taking some action is something that many IDS
systems, and some firewalls can do.  The problem is (for most people) that
by the time tre traffic reaches some device you control, the damage is
done.
I.e. you can filter it at your access router, but your T1 is full.  The
attacker
has to find a site with more bandwidth than you to bounce off of.

Usually, most people want to detect smurf attacks so they can call
the admin of the relay site and ask them to fix their config.

                              Ryan