Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: UDP port 137

From: "Gibson, Brian" <briang () multex com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 09:47:52 -0500

What is probably happening is that Outlook is attempting to use WINS to
do name resolution for whatever address you gave for the IMAP server.
Outlook does not normally use NETBIOS unless you are using WINS.

The problem with logging NETBIOS is that the majority of requests on
137-139 are innocuous, particularly if you are using routable registered
internal names and have laptops that connect both to your LAN and to the
Internet, at different times of course.