Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Administrivia, was Re: DMZ, defined.

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 13:05:39 -0500

Adam Shostack wrote:
Because MJR is being insufficiently strict in his moderation role. :)

Actually, I've been being more permissive about letting
side discussions (and even some mildly heated messages)
through. That's because a few months ago when I shut
down a couple of interminable threads, I got complaints
from many of the participants that I was censoring their
important contributions to Internet security. :)

In general when I want to shut down a thread, I usually
stop posting the messages in the thread and respond to
the authors, saying, "I am ending this thread" -- which
invites discussion. I'm reluctant to just start killing
postings without notice, though.

With respect to the DMZ semantics discussion, I will
not be posting through any more messages unless they
are substantive contributions to the state of the art.
(which is a nice way of saying, "drop this topic")

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net