Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IDS collection in the DMZ, or in the dirty segment?

From: "Matt McClung, CCSA/CCSE" <mmcclung () ndwcorp com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:17:55 -0700

I have yet to read someone post the idea that you CAN install more than one
IDS in your network.
I have yet to see any hard case for not putting and IDS in the DMZ, Service
Network, Extranet or Internal network.  The biggest drawback to this is
capital.  You can centrally manage and monitor all IDS boxes which relieve
the management headache and you are able to cover all areas which really
should be covered (Those I mentioned).

Matt McClung
Net.Works Security Engineer
mmcclung () ndwcorp com