Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: UDP port 137

From: "Shivdasani, Meenoo" <Meenoo_Shivdasani () NAI com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 07:02:43 -0800

My firewall has been alerting me to "possible port scans" on UPD for
port 137.
This seems to occur from a number of source addresses and
domains on the
internet, some resolve-able, some not.  Does anyone know of a reason
I should be concerned?

Ah, the joy of Windoze.  At the most innocent level, hits to 137/UDP are
just an annoyance.  Windoze boxes spew NetBIOS related traffic all over the
place.  My personal solution is to dump them in the bit bucket so that I
don't have to wade through reports of unserved ports in my logs.  However,
that solution does have a flaw -- no logging equates to no tracking.

Hits to 139/TCP could be someone trying to nuke internal windoze machines.
I can't remember offhand if there's an attack that you can do with 137/UDP.