Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ports 256,257,258 open on FW-1

From: Neil Buckley <nbuckley () wsi com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:13:34 -0500

Stefan,

I agree 100% with you that the Nokia's limited OS apps and binaries is a
major plus when comparing it to a general purpose OS.  It does still contain
exploitable binaries, apps, and processes that can become increasingly
visible in a high availability deployment utilizing dynamic routing
protocols.

To clarify my statement:  My perspective on the Nokia platform was relative
to the issues in the advisory surrounding a FW-1 install, and that by moving
to a platform such as Nokia you were not going to see those issues go away.

IMHO: I would not want to see the Nokia platform become the default platform
for FW-1 because it's heralded as a "hardened OS", I think this would lull
the uneducated admin into thinking that if they purchase FW-1 on the Nokia
platform that they now have nothing to be concerned about.

--Neil

"Moser, Stefan" wrote:

Neil,

I don't agree with your statement that 'the nokia platform has
all the same security issues that are inherent in the other
platforms that  checkpoint runs on'.

It sure isn't perfect, but at least it doesn't ship with
out of date sendmail and bind binaries, dodgy hosts.equiv
files, inet.d entries and network daemons of dubiuos virtue
that are started by default, questionable setuid permissions,
unused logins, leaky X servers and various other, mostly well
known, security snafus. I won't even start rambling about NT.

Given enough talent and time, you can harden any given OS platform
to the point of the Nokia box, possibly even beyond - however, both
talent and time seem to be rather precious commodities these days.

At the end of the day I do think that the Nokia box, albeit not perfect,
does compare favorably to a general purpose machine as far a platform
security goes. It takes considerably less resources to get to a - for
most people - acceptable level. I'd define acceptable here as better than
the majority of firewall installations I've seen.

However, speaking of firewalls, the IP400 is afflicted by the
same default settings as the other platforms.

-Stefan