Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The devil's in the details

From: "Paul V. Alukal" <palukal () ra hpw stf bms com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:47:32 -0400 (EDT)

I had come across a similar situation about a year back at a client
site, and at that time, some switch vendors were not providing a port
to see all the traffic through the switch. In addition, the IDS
software we were using (fom a well known vendor) was only providing
network based IDS software. (We decided to use shared hubs at few key
places on the network).

In addition to using shared hubs at few key locations, I think you can
try to solve this switch problem by providing a combination of network
and host based IDS software. The vendor whom we used that time is now
providing both host based and network based IDS software components.

Paul V. Alukal
Consultant  ( http://www.securedigit.com )
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
Princeton