Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Questions about firewall

From: fgb () domain com br
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:45:44 -0300 (GMT-03:00)

I'm a begginer in firewall technologies, and I have several questions, so I hope the wizard
will be able to help me a lot. ;-)

I'm using Linux Red Hat 5.2 (Kernel 2.0.36) with two NICs, one in the Internet (connect to an ISP connection throw a
router) and another in the protect network. I have a little range of valid address and I'll have a mail and a web
server. My first question is: Do I need to have a third NIC in my firewall machine and a little network (DMZ) where I
will connect my mail and web server, or can I perform a NAT on the linux machine and make my servers, that are in the
protect network, visible on the Internet ? In case of the second option, how can I implement the NAT ?

Since I'll be using Red Hat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36), I should use ipfwadm, is that correct ?

Can I  have IP filters so that I can control access of certain protocols and ports ?

I also want to use a proxy/cache server. Is squid a good choice ?

For these caracteristics I pretend to have in my firewall, what services may I compile in the kernel and what modules
should I install ?

Any ideas, tips, pointer, etc, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Fabio.
fgb () domain com br