Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Using VLAN's in Firewall topologies

From: "Jan B. Koum " <jkb () best com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 00:18:30 -0700

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 06:14:07PM -0300, Ivan Arce <core.lists.firewall-wizards () core-sdi com> wrote:
CarlosCapmany Francoy wrote:

l foresee another pro and con to this kind of topology:

CON(s): First of all, there's an extra burden placed in the network
administrator (and an extra degree of expertise). But most important, you must
extend your security policy and procedures to cover also switch and vLAN
administration, not only in terms of avoiding remote administration and the
like, but also to control access, audit and triple-check any modification
carried out in the switch configuration, including its routing functionality.
Among others, you must be sure at every moment that routing is carried out
exclusively by the firewall device in place (not by the RSM), no other systems
can be (mis)placed in an existent vLAN without your knowledge, etc. Once a
system is connected to a switch port, everything else depends on the switch
(and RSM) configuration, so It is fairly easy to provoke unwanted or unexpected
"logical shortcuts" that will avoid communication through the firewall
(internal machine added to a DMZ vLAN, routing between DMZ and internal vLANs).

And more to it....
even if there is no "mis" configuration, that is, if everything is configured
correctly i'll
refer to something that has been said over and over in the past years in this and
other forums:

The main design goal for a switch (altho. not the unique goal) is to optimize
performance
and increase thruoghput between the networked nodes, NOT to increase security.
While i haven't seen any definite research paper detailing methods to purposely
turn a switch into
 a hub-like device my general paranoid understanding is that it could be done and
that the ways
of doing it must be very vendor-model-firmware_version dependant.

--

 Iván Arce <ivan () core-sdi com>
 Presidente

        I second what Ivan is saying. Here is a note I sent to our internal
ops list about switches and security:

-----------------------------------
    I once in a while hear how switches protect us from a security point of
    things. I would like to stress yet again that switches are NOT security
    devices and are not designed with security in mind.

    So without any arp cache games, you are free to see that for yourself:

# tcpdump -l -s 1500 -w - not host `hostname -s` and tcp |strings

    Granted, you will not get all that data (or even much), but with enough
    luck+time you can paste together some [maybe even using tcpslice(1)?]
    packets/sessions which will have important clear text in it. (yes, if
    you filter out ssh "and not port 22", you will get more usefull stuff
    and less junk).

-- Yan

P.S - You get more fun out of UDP with NetBIOS and NFS been clear text and all.

        Also, at a company I am doing security for now, when I just started
the DMZ was a vlan as part of a normal network made up of HP swithces. Heh...
That got changed rather fast into a physically separate cisco cat switch ;)

-- Yan