Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1 Failover

From: Carric Dooley <carric () com2usa com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:57:29 -0400 (EDT)

Do what I did with my last client.. suggest the Nokia boxes.  You will
thank each other.  They configure flawlessly for fail over, they have
triple the throughput of NT, they come with 4 port NIC's and they do not
have the aministrative overhead of either a Unix box or... dare I say?? an
NT box.  No hardening of the OS, just slep 'em in and fire 'em up.  Set
them up with VRRP and you are cooking.  I have never actually see the PIX
firewalls fail over... I have seen them fail.  ;)

Give it some thought and do some research.  I have made our pair of Nokia
IP440's fail-over and fail back at least 50 times with no hickups.  I
tested it while pulling an FTP session accross them.  Most windows clients
won't even notice (since the meter for throughut is usually an average).
They fail over in about 2 to 3 seconds, and back in the same amount of
time.  It is really impressive.  And the argument of "We don't have any
unix guys to administer the box" falls flat.

Carric Dooley
COM2:Interactive Media
http://www.com2usa.com