Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Gauntlet V4.2 general Version/GUI Problems

From: Ulrich Flegel <Ulrich.Flegel () CS Uni-Dortmund DE>
Date: 25 Jun 1999 16:19:24 +0200

Hi there,

we recently acquired a Gauntlet  V4.2 and installed it. When trying to
remotely administer it using espmgui  under Solaris I run into several
problems:

1) The GUI tells me it is "Gauntlet Firewall (Evaluation)".  We bought
   this product  and I wonder  whether it hasn't been  registered. The
   Distributor told us  there is no registration. Is  this true?  What
   says your espmgui/fwgui  GUI (if you have a  V4.2 Gauntlet which is
   not just a test version)?   What is the latest Version (build?)  of
   the Gauntlet and its GUI (also available in Europe?)?

2) The Gauntlet  will not accept the  userid/password configured using
   gauntlet-admin. I  believe this happens  because the GUI  users are
   configured to  use authentication  method "APOP".  The  manual says
   one should use method "password" but  there is no way (known to me)
   to make  gauntlet-admin use something  different than APOP  for GUI
   users. Different auth.methods work for the other user lists, though
   (non-GUI  users). When refusing  the user,  the gauntlet  host will
   leave a  lock file  in /tmp/espm-config.lock. (IMHO  this shouldn't
   happen).

3) The GUI allows me to  break the lock /tmp/espm-config.lock. I don't
   understand why: at first it refuses  the same user, but if the lock
   exists, the  Gauntlet accepts the  user.  More nasty  things happen
   when  breaking  the lock  (snippet  from  shell  where espmgui  was
   started):

Submitting request GET /realgui/getauthconfirm;html HTTP/1.0
ESPMMain
Submitting request GET /getespmws;html HTTP/1.0
Submitting request GET /gethostlist;html HTTP/1.0
Submitting request GET /gethostlist;html HTTP/1.0
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at nai.espm.main.ESPMWSConfiguration.get(ESPMWSConfiguration.java:81)
        at nai.espm.lib.ConfigObjectTree.<init>(ConfigObjectTree.java:67)
        at nai.espm.main.EspmWS.<init>(EspmWS.java:73)
        at ESPMMain.loadMainFrame(ESPMMain.java:183)
        at ESPMMain.startup(ESPMMain.java:120)
        at LoginMain.in_process_start(LoginMain.java:135)
        at LoginMain.startGUI(LoginMain.java:115)
        at LoginMain.do_login(LoginMain.java:63)
        at LoginMain.main(LoginMain.java:41)
Unable to launch application ESPMMain
Error message java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at ESPMMain.loadMainFrame(ESPMMain.java:189)
        at ESPMMain.startup(ESPMMain.java:120)
        at LoginMain.in_process_start(LoginMain.java:135)
        at LoginMain.startGUI(LoginMain.java:115)
        at LoginMain.do_login(LoginMain.java:63)
        at LoginMain.main(LoginMain.java:41)

   The GUI is Version 4.2.090998. Is this a known bug?

4) Something funny:  espmgui is a script containing  ^M characters. It
   refused to  run properly  using bash until  the ^M  characters were
   removed.

Help appreciated!

TIA,
 Ulrich Flegel