Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: inbound port 20

From: "Frank Heinzius" <frimp () mms de>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:04:48 +0200

Hi,

On 24 Jun 99, at 9:42, Kaptain wrote:

Hi all.  We are having a live update issue with Symantec because our
firewall blocks inbound port 20 and that is the response port that opens
to receive their file via ftp.  We are considering opening the port
permenantly or semi-permenantly to alleviate the problem.  Can anyone
point to any security issues that might be associated with this and/or any
precautions we should take if we open the port?  Thanks in advance for any
advice.

All data transferred during an active ftp-Session is transferred over a
second connection. The problem is, that this connection is initiated from
the server, port 20, to a destination port >1023 on your client machine.

It depends on the capabilities of your firewall:
If you have "normal" static packet filtering, you have to open
connections from the Internet (tm), port 20, to all your ftp-allowed
clients in your network, port >1023, with the ACK bit set (sometimes the
keyword is "established" on some firewalls).
This makes it easy for internal/external hackers to install a tunnel
through your firewall. The next point is, that packets, initiated from
port 20 with ACK-bit set, are passed to the client machine. DoS attacks
are possible.
If you have dynamic stateful packet inspection, you are able to set up a
dependency mask: only allow connections initiated from port 20 to port
1023 on the inside, if the client opened a control connection from a
port >1023 to the server address, port 21. Of course, this dependeny
relies on a history timeout value. 5 minutes should be enough.

An alternative is passive ftp: most clients, especially Web browsers, use
it. The control connection is the same as with active ftp. However, the
data connection is made from the client to the server as well! So you
donĀ“t have to open incoming connections. If you have a firewall with
Layer 4/5 capabilities, it will be able to capture the PORT command from
the ftp control session to get the two port numbers for the data channel.
Only connections between those ports will be allowed during this session.

Kind Regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

--
Frank M. Heinzius               MMS Communication AG
mailto:frimp () mms de             Eiffestrasse 598