Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: strange icmp packets.

From: Neil Ratzlaff <Neil.Ratzlaff () ucop edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:47:24 -0800

We have been seeing these for many months.  Mostly at a very low level, and
I would not have noticed them at all except that they hit a private subnet
that has never had any machines on it.  They also hit other IP addresses
that do exist.  But when I see  icmp response packets when there was no
query packet, I assume an attempt at a stealth scan.

Neil

Please respond to Darren Reed <avalon () coombs anu edu au>